Choose organic ingredients to avoid chemicals and GMO
2 cups dried green split peas (soaked overnight and rinsed), 1 meaty ham bone or 1 ham hock, 1 lb diced ham, 2 Tbs ghee or olive oil, 1 cup yellow onion (chopped), 1 cup carrots (diced), 2 celery ribs with leaves (chopped), 2 cloves garlic (crushed), 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 bay leaf, ¼ cup parsley (chopped), 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, 6-8 cups water or vegetable broth.
1. Place the peas in a large bowl, cover with water by 2 inches and soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain the peas and set aside.
2. Score the ham hock or bone, place in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat up the ghee or oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and garlic for 3mn. Add carrots and celery and sauté for another 5mn.
4. Add the ham bone/hock and ham and cook until it starts browning.
5. Add the drained peas, s & p, and herbs. Cook and stir for 3mn.
6. Add the water or broth, cover and cook for 1 hour until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone.
7. Serve with sprinkled parsley on top.
This comforting soup can be made with or without ham for a vegan/vegetarian version. Make it ahead of time and reheat or make in a crockpot for busy days.
Gluten-free, Vegan, Vegetarian.
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching