Choose organic ingredients to avoid chemicals and GMOs.
1 cup quinoa (I use half white, half red), 1 butternut squash, 20 Brussels sprouts, 8 cups of baby greens, 1/4 cup of red onion (chopped), 1 pomegranate (seeded) or 1/4 cup of dried cranberries/cherries, 1/2 cup of pecans (raw or toasted), 1 Tbs coconut oil, 2 Tbs of olive oil, 1 Tbs of balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbs of orange or pomegranate juice, 1 ripe avocado (diced), 1/4 cup of parsley (chopped), 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper.
1. Soak quinoa overnight for optimal digestion and nutrient absorption, rinse and cook in 1 cup of water in a rice cooker. Set aside.
2. Peel, remove seeds and cube the butternut squash. Place it in a flat dish, drizzle coconut oil and sprinkle some cinnamon. Put in the oven at 350F for about 30mn, or until it becomes soft and caramelized. Let it cool down.
3. Toast pecans for 10 mn in a flat dish in the oven.
4. Wash the pomegranate. Slice in 4 quarters and remove the seeds carefully. I usually do this over a plate in the sink, since it gets messy. Set aside. Alternately you can use dried cranberries or cherries.
5. Rinse and steam Brussels sprouts for 15 mn until they are soft when you insert a knife.
6. Make the green salad: throw baby greens in a bowl, drizzle olive oil, balsamic vinegar, juice, salt & pepper. Add Brussels sprouts or fennel, red onion, pecans and pomegranate/dried fruit. Mix well.
7. Serve into plates: start with a bed of salad, top with some some quinoa, butternut squash, parsley and diced avocado. Sprinkle parsley on top.
This is my favorite to-go salad during the Fall/Winter season. I make it every week with leftover quinoa for a quick meal. It is a complete meal with high-protein quinoa, detoxifying greens and cruciferous, and avocado for healthy fats. You can use any vegetables that are in season. I like to serve this salad with an orange vegetable for immune-boosting vitamin A and antioxidants, such as winter squash (any type), pumpkin or sweet potatoes.
Gluten-free, Vegan, Vegetarian.
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching