Choose organic ingredients to avoid chemicals and GMOs.
2 Tbs olive oil, 1 yellow onion (chopped), 4 celery ribs (chopped), 4 carrots (chopped), 2 garlic cloves (crushed), 1/2 bunch kale (thinly sliced), 1 laurel leaf, 1 tsp each dried basil/oregano/rosemary/thyme, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 4 cups vegetable broth or water, 1 1/2 cups green lentils (soaked overnight & rinsed).
1. In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic over medium-high heat for 5 mn.
2. Add the celery and carrots, and sauté for another 15mn.
3. Once the vegetables have just started to turn light brown, add the laurel, dried herbs, salt and black pepper to the pot. Continue cooking and stirring the mixture for 5 mn.
4. Add the vegetable broth or water and lentils to the pan.
5. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the temperature slightly. Simmer the soup, covered, for 30 mn, until the lentils are tender.
6. 5mn before turning the heat off, add kale.
7. Serve the soup hot or store it for up to three days in the refrigerator.
Lentil soup is staple on cold days. It is warming and comforting and complete with lentils as a plant-based protein source. You can make it ahead of time, reheat or use leftover for your lunch. It is packed with antioxidants with herbs.
Gluten-free, Vegan, Vegetarian.
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching