Choose organic ingredients
50 chestnuts (500g/18oz, cooked and peeled), 125g/4.5oz unsalted butter, 250g/9oz light brown sugar, 4 eggs, 3.5oz/1 bar 70% dark chocolate, pinch of sea salt.
1. Boil the chestnuts in water for 30 minutes, drain and peel them with a sharp knife.
2. Break them down into pieces and process them in a food processor, with a little water to run.
3. Add soft butter, broken into pieces, sugar and egg yolks.
4. Beat the egg whites until fluffy with a hand held blender. Mix them gently into the batter.
5. Pour into a round pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven at 350F for 1h until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Let it cool.
6. Melt chocolate in a bowl over a simmering pan and smooth out over cake. Ready to serve!
This scrumptious cake is a recipe from my French grandmother, it was her specialty, and we looked forward to it every Fall. Chestnut is very popular in France, whether in savory or sweet dishes.
It is not the healthiest dessert, since it contains butter and sugar, but it is a rare treat and is part of my 80%/20% rule :) Being healthy is about balance. Enjoy!
Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Paleo.
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching