Choose organic ingredients to avoid chemicals and GMOs.
1 cup black lentils (soaked overnight, rinsed and drained), 1.5 cups filtered water or vegetable broth, 1/2 onion (chopped), 2 garlic cloves (crushed), 1 Tbs ghee or olive oil, 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp each coriander, cumin, fennel (crushed in a mortar), sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
1. Heat up a heavy pan over medium-high heat.
2. Melt the ghee, add spices, s & p, and saute for 1 minute, stirring often and being careful not to burn them.
3. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5mn stirring often until soft.
4. Add lentils, water or broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30mn until lentils are soft, adding liquid if need be.
5. Add vinegar and mix.
6. Serve with a salad or vegetables, topping with fresh herbs and avocado if desired.
Black lentils are a great source of protein, fiber and antioxidants. They are also called Beluga lentils as they resemble caviar. Soaking legumes overnight improves digestion and absorption of nutrients. If you choose not to soak them, you need a ratio of 1 cup of lentils for 3 cups of liquid.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Vegan, Vegetarian.
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching